Student shaking hands with support staff. Hand shake at meeting.
All offers are subject to satisfactory screening in terms of your health, welfare and disclosure and barring processes, before the start of your course.
If you do not pass these checks satisfactorily you will not be able to start a course with us. If your checks are not completed before the first day of the course you may be able to start. If you subsequently fail to pass either of these checks satisfactorily your place will be withdrawn.

Occupational health clearance聽

Applicants are required to undergo a health assessment prior to the start of the course. This is to ensure that you are physically and mentally suited to a career in health. If you have any concerns about your medical suitability, you are advised to discuss this with your GP. The questionnaire will be sent out with offer letters; this forms the basis of the health screening so it is vital that all questions are answered as fully and honestly as possible. The questionnaire covers the issue of vaccinations and it is important that students are aware that they will need to have a full range of immunisations before they start a placement.
They check for the following vaccines:聽
  • Hepatitis B
  • Chicken Pox
  • BCG/TB Screening
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure

Our courses require students to work in positions requiring public trust. In order to ensure public protection and safety, all applicants will be asked to declare any convictions or cautions against them, and to declare any pending prosecutions. This can be done on the UCAS application form.
Enhanced disclosures will be made on all students when they hold conditional firm or unconditional firm status. You will be sent details of how to complete the check online as part of your offer, with details of how to do so at this point. This process must be completed, even if a check has recently been completed for another organisation. All information is treated in the utmost confidence.
A disclosure which contains details of an offence does not automatically preclude study on one of our courses. We operate a Professional Issues Committee which will consider each case individually and confidentially. In all instances, the committee is assessing whether the disclosure would prevent an applicant from going on placement or obtaining employment on graduation.

Information for students who have previously resided outside the UK as an adult (i.e. from age 18 or over)

Alongside the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks which are undertaken for all applicants, any periods of previous residence abroad, of twelve months or more as an adult, need to be covered by a 'certificate of good character' (or similar) from the country concerned. Residence aboard includes, but is not limited to, travelling, studying, working and postings with armed forces*.
If, since the age 18, you have resided outside the UK for more than twelve months (either continuously or in total) it is your responsibility to obtain the relevant certificate(s). The University cannot apply for these certificates on your behalf or pay for the costs involved. This process can take some time and you are strongly advised to apply at the earliest opportunity. Students who have previously resided abroad will be unable to start student placements without this certificate.
For information about applying for such certificates, please consult the DBS website: .
*If your period of residence abroad took place whilst serving in the military, you may submit an extract from your military record instead. The extract you provide must:
  • be the original document you were given, not a copy
  • cover (and state that it covers) all of the periods within the past ten years during which you were overseas for twelve months or more (whether continuously or in total) and confirm you were serving in the military at this time
  • expressly disclose any and all convictions you may have received during this time
  • be from an identified source that we can contact if we need to verify the extract's authenticity.聽
If you cannot obtain a criminal record certificate from the relevant country.
It is not always possible to obtain a certificate from countries that do not have functioning criminal record regimes or refuse to provide these to anyone other than their own citizens.聽