Students reaching for globe World
At the University of Plymouth we provide opportunities for you to combine an overseas experience with your degree. Whether you chose to study with an overseas partner institution or take part in an overseas work placement or internship, we're here to support you. 
We hope that the following information will give you a flavour of what is available. The Global Opportunities team is here to guide and support you and answer your questions.

Research shows that students who study or work abroad during their degree are more likely to achieve at a higher academic level, get a job and earn more when they graduate, are more international in their lives and show greater personal development.

UK HE International Unit, 2019. . Universities UK

Study abroad

Study abroad opportunities are available with our bilateral exchange host universities or, if these are not suitable, with one of ISEP’s member universities.
You can study abroad for one or both semesters of your second year, taking modules at your host university that are equivalent to those you would have studied in Plymouth. Your host module choices will be researched by you and discussed and agreed with your academic exchange advisor. Marks awarded by your host will not contribute to your final degree classification which will therefore be based on first and final year marks only.
To be accepted for study abroad you must be in good academic standing and have no outstanding debts with the University of Plymouth. 
You apply for academic approval to study abroad and for an overseas mobility grant using the same form.
You will be told the outcome of your study abroad application within two weeks of the deadline. If you are successful, you will then be nominated to your allocated partner who will contact you directly with further instructions on completing your study abroad admission. Global Opportunities will check that you meet the eligibility criteria for study abroad and help you with any questions you have.
The Global Opportunities team have put together a presentation explaining the benefits of taking part in an international exchange and the opportunities available to University of Plymouth students. View a PDF version of the presentation.
Check out (for UK students seeking overseas degrees but much is relevant to exchange students).

Bilateral exchange

A bilateral exchange is a swap between two students under the terms of special partnership agreements with individual overseas universities, agreed by our faculties, departments and courses. They are usually subject area specific – for example a swap between two history students – and are tuition fee-free at your host.
Bilateral exchanges take place with partner universities that we know well and they know us well. This means our courses are complementary making for productive exchange opportunities for our students.

ISEP exchange

is a non-profit educational community dedicated to helping students overcome the financial and academic barriers to overseas study. The University of Plymouth has been a member of ISEP since 1984, exchanging an average of 11 students per year through ISEP during this time. You could spend your second year at one of over 300 member universities worldwide. 
Your application to study abroad must be approved by the university before you make an application to ISEP.

Overseas work placements and internships

For many subject areas a placement year is an optional part of your degree, taking place in the year between your second and final year. Internships are typically shorter in length giving you opportunities to fit them into your summer vacations. Either way, doing them overseas can add to the professional skills you will develop within the workplace and give you a wider international perspective that is valued by employers.
You can apply for a overseas mobility grant when your overseas placement or internship has been approved.
The University's Careers Service are here to support you whether you choose a placement or internship, stay on home turf or travel further afield. You can also get ideas and advice from your course placement tutor. 

Academic approval and grant application

Overseas work mobility grant application
Your approved application and evidence must be submitted no later than 15 February 2024

Visa guidance

Once you are ready to go overseas, in most cases you will need to apply for a visa. Universities UK International have produced a for students making a visa application for study, work or volunteering abroad.
Globe by Kyle Glenn