Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
Creative contributions to research
Broadening, enhancing and underpinning the scope of our Strategic Institutes are active collaborations with researchers across the
arts, humanities and business.
- Study furthers aim of offering new insights into pollack populations 11 December 2023
- University wins Outstanding Contribution to the Local Community category at Times Higher Education Awards 2023 8 December 2023
- Dental clinicâ€™s blood pressure check enables patient to receive life-saving heart treatment 8 December 2023
- University helps secure Â£5m to tackle health inequalities in Cornwall 5 December 2023
- University recognised for sector leading Climate Action at the 2023 Green Gown Awards 1 December 2023
Upcoming academic and research events
- International Offshore Wind Technical Conference (IOWTC 2023) 18 December 2023 - 19 December 2023
- Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research seminars 11 January 2024 12:30 - 14:00
- Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research seminars 17 January 2024 12:00 - 13:00
- School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics postgraduate opportunities â€“ virtual drop-in session 9 February 2024 11:30 - 12:30
- SEI Research Forum Workshop â€“ Developing individual and institutional research partnerships to tackle global challenges 29 February 2024 13:45 - 16:00