International students on the Hoe

If you want to come and have a chat please email us to make an appointment

Appointments are generally available Monday to Friday between 10.00 – 11.30 and 14.00 – 15.30 on a pre-arranged basis.

The University of Plymouth welcomes Exchange and Freemover students from all over the world who want to spend part of their degree with us. The team at Global Opportunities is here to help guide you through the opportunities that may be available to you.
  • Broaden your mind and your horizons.
  • Adapt to different cultures and work patterns.
  • Improve your job prospects (employers like multi-cultural employees).
  • Improve your language skills.
Nomination and application
The University of Plymouth accepts Exchange students for either the whole academic year or for one semester through our Bilateral agreements and ISEP.
We also consider self-funding students, known as Freemovers, who wish to study at the University of Plymouth for one or two semesters outside of any agreement.
To study abroad with the University of Plymouth you must be nominated by your home institution. Once your nomination has been accepted we will send you a link to our application form for completion and submission.
We will only accept applications from nominated students.
Semester one Semester two
Nomination Application Nomination Application
30 April 31 May 18 October 4 November
You will be notified of the outcome of your application within four weeks of the application deadlines.
Details of all available study abroad modules and our academic advisors can be found by following the link at the bottom of this page.

We are the University of Plymouth

Since 1862 we have engaged the brightest minds to push boundaries, advance knowledge and transform lives. We have a long and proud history, and together, we are forging an even greater future.

We offer two types of exchange

Bilateral exchange

A bilateral exchange is a swap between two students under the terms of special partnership agreements with individual overseas universities, agreed by our faculties, departments and courses. They are usually subject area specific – for example a swap between two history students. Student exchange is tuition fee-free at your host.
Bilateral exchanges take place with partner universities that know us well and we know them well. This means our courses are complimentary making for productive exchange opportunities for you.
3d image of conceptual cube world map [shutterstock_66992410]
Orange ISEP logo

ISEP exchange

is a non-profit educational community dedicated to helping students overcome the financial and academic barriers to overseas study. The University of Plymouth is one of worldwide and has been a member of ISEP since 1984, exchanging an average of 11 students per year through ISEP during this time.
To find out more and to make an application you will need to contact your home university's designated ISEP coordinator and register your account on the ISEP website.

General University of Plymouth entry requirements

Graduation academic dress

Academic requirements

Applicants for our study abroad programmes must to meet the academic standards required of our full-degree entrants.
You can apply to be a fee-free exchange student if we have an exchange agreement with your university in your subject area.
You should speak to your home university's exchanges department to find out what is available.
The University of Plymouth requires exchange students to have completed a minimum of one year of a university degree, and the majority of exchange students join us during year two of a three-year degree course.
International students

English language requirements

If your first language is not English you must have a level of English of a standard that will enable you to benefit fully from your course of study. This is at least CEFR B2 level for all mobilities. For exchange mobilities of less than 6 months (1 semester) we will accept your nomination and application, signed by your university, as confirmation you have achieved the standard. For freemover mobilities of less than 6 months (1 semester) we may require you to provide evidence of your English language proficiency necessary to fulfil your academic plan.
For mobilities of 6 months or more (two semesters), you will require a . This requires a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which is issued by us. To be issued a CAS you must provide us with one of the listed SELTS or non-SELTS certificates. Our English Language Centre offers courses to help you develop your academic English language skills – both before and during your studies.